The last official release (the Alpha) was more then two years ago (February 2011). Today we want to finally release a new version that we declare as stable: v0.1 (codename “EV0001”)
This release is dedicated to our IRC bot named “EV0001”, thanks for serving us with log files and pizza in the last years.
Together with the new release of the Player we also release a new website. (this blog will serve as the news section of the site, so nothing new here)
Noticeable changes in 0.1:
- An embedded font (called Shinonome) that looks like MS Gothic. No external font file needed anymore!
- Improved event interpreter, many games that were broken before are more playable now (e.g. going to bed and entering the dream in Yume Nikki works now)
- Rendering issues with some BMP and PNG files were fixed.
- Screenshot function (press F10)
- New Name Input dialog with better layout and support for Japanese characters
- Huge improvements in the internal memory management of the Player, crashes because of deletion of still referenced game objects shouldn’t happen anymore.
- Multi-language RTP support. Play Japanese games that use files from the RTP with the English RTP (and vice-versa). The Player handles all the magic in the background for you.
- For developers: The graphic backends SDL and SoftBitmap were removed, Pixman is now the one and only (Audio and Input are still handled by SDL)
You can download the Player in the download section of our new website. For 0.1 we only provide binaries for the common systems Windows, Linux and MacOS X. We don’t have enough developers to maintain lots of ports and they were slowing down our development process. But don’t worry, our Player is still perfectly portable to other systems. Ports for other systems will be readded in our ongoing development process. At the moment improving the compatibility and the user experience of the Player is our highest priority.
The next release (v0.2, codename “Alex”) will probably be released this year and on our roadmap is the long awaited battle system and and a better save system and of course improvements in the user experience. And we plan to make new stable releases more often so that you don’t have to wait two years again :).
At last we recommend that you check out our new user section in the wiki containing many useful information about features of the Player!
12 thoughts on “New official EasyRPG Player release”
Where can I get a copy of that font file?
Shinonome font is bitmap based, coded in text format and is embedded into the executable. Sources are available here:
Example for “A” latin1 definition:
So what if someone wanted to use that font in the original RPG_RT.exe?
Shinonome fonts can be built in .bdf format but RPG_RT recognizes Windows supported fonts only (.fon and .ttf formats), so you need to build .bdf (or get .bdf binaries) then use a conversion tool to generate .fon files, then modify RPG_RT.exe to point to specific .fon name (not filename) and install the corresponding .fon in the windows fonts folder.
.bdf binaries from an old build are available in this package:
Hi, I changed “Shinonome” in the blog post to a link to the website fdela mentioned.
Maybe you have luck using bdf2ttf from that site: http://www1.kaoriya.net/
And to load the font in RPG_RT. hmm. You could try replacing RM2000.fon in your font-directory (C:\Windows\Fonts) or use Cherry font changer: http://www.multimediaxis.de/threads/99506-Programmvorstellung-RM2K-Font-Changer (but is in German)
The file that Francisco gave me works, I downloaded FontForge in an attempt to try to convert from BDF to a .fon file but it doesn’t seem to work.
Ghabry, I am not sure what to do with the file I was linked to. I see the bdf2ttf.exe, but a command prompt window appears for a split second and then goes away.
Not tested but this could work:
Note you need to get the internal .fon name to put it into the RPG_RT, you can get this name from the windows fonts browser
Thanks, I got it to work.
Glad to see this is still being worked on , an open source RPG Maker engine is a great idea!
Just updated the Pandora port to new version.
You can get it on the repo at: http://repo.openpandora.org/?page=detail&app=easyrpg-23637
What do you think about adding unofficial 0.1 ports to the website download section?