As promised we want to speed up our release process. Today we want to release a minor update that fixes some bugs that were encountered in EV0001, so this is basicly EV0002 and provides some additional features.
If you don’t want to read about the changes you can grab the program directly in our download section.
Now the changelog:
- Linux: Support for detecting the RTP path by reading the Wine Windows registry (this means you can install the RTP via Wine)
- Fixes for the Android build system (still not working, are you an Android developer? Contact us!)
- Wii support
- Windows 98 support (compile with VS2005)
- For developers: Switched to Javadoc comment style and updated Doxygen documentation with new features (e.g. call graphs) (issue #67)
Gameplay related: (when this fixes an issue in a specific game it is mentioned in [brackets])
- Fake Battle System. The battle itself doesn’t work but you can select the outcome (Victory, Defeat (only for scripted defeats, doesn’t trigger a Game over) and Escape). Far away from being perfect but better then terminating like in 0.1
- Fix integer overflow on large maps (resulting in incorrect passability checks)[Hero’s Realm]
- Don’t restart BGM if the song is the same [Hero’s Realm]
- Fix passability check for event layer chipset tiles (issue #121) [Dragon Warrior 1 Remix]
- Fix transparency of autotiles (resulted in an orange tileset when parallax backgrounds were used, issue #104) [Dragon Slayer Gaiden] [Yumme Nikki]
- When a party member is on the maximum level, instead of displaying “——–” the current experience is displayed now, because this was confusing
- Adjusting music volume (needs support in SDL_mixer, probably not working for all files)
- MessageBoxes close now when a wait event occurs, should fix many not closing message boxes
- Experience and Level system implemented
- Switch command: Fixed indirect switch setting via variable
- States (Death, Poison, …): Display correct state in menu
- Fix item count underflowing (from 0 to 99) when an item that the player didn’t have was decresed
- Fix change hero sprite command
- Move event: Player transparency
The Player is still not suitable for daily use, please report any bugs you encounter in games so we can make it better. Thanks!
In our ongoing approach to port the EasyRPG Player to highly important platforms we want to provide a glance at our newest port supporting Windows 98.
In 2012 the market share of Windows 98, 2000 and NT together was an incredible high value of 0.13% so a port was totally worth it.
The hardware and software requirements of the application are minimal. You only need an Intel Pentium 2 or newer or an AMD K6 or newer. Operating system: Any Windows since Windows 98.
Player was run on a 350 Mhz Pentium II system. With resolution 640×480 the test map runs at 30 FPS, with 320×240 at 60 FPS. The strange chipset is our placeholder chipset until somebody draws a new one for us (maybe you?).
We render at 32bit, the output quality is improved compared to RPG_RT on color intensive scenes but our feature that allows playing of games from other countries (e.g. Japanese) on a european Windows is gone because of operating system limitations (limited Unicode support).
Time for some retro feeling! Get your old PC down from the attic, remove the dust and enjoy. (needs the Microsoft Layer for Unicode, place unicows.dll in the same directory as Player.exe, if it crashes on startup the DLL is missing)
And something completly different: The Wii nightly build is back and 0.1 builds for Caanoo and Pandora (thx Rikku and Kazuki) were contributed.
The last official release (the Alpha) was more then two years ago (February 2011). Today we want to finally release a new version that we declare as stable: v0.1 (codename “EV0001”)
This release is dedicated to our IRC bot named “EV0001”, thanks for serving us with log files and pizza in the last years.
Together with the new release of the Player we also release a new website. (this blog will serve as the news section of the site, so nothing new here)
Noticeable changes in 0.1:
- An embedded font (called Shinonome) that looks like MS Gothic. No external font file needed anymore!
- Improved event interpreter, many games that were broken before are more playable now (e.g. going to bed and entering the dream in Yume Nikki works now)
- Rendering issues with some BMP and PNG files were fixed.
- Screenshot function (press F10)
- New Name Input dialog with better layout and support for Japanese characters
- Huge improvements in the internal memory management of the Player, crashes because of deletion of still referenced game objects shouldn’t happen anymore.
- Multi-language RTP support. Play Japanese games that use files from the RTP with the English RTP (and vice-versa). The Player handles all the magic in the background for you.
- For developers: The graphic backends SDL and SoftBitmap were removed, Pixman is now the one and only (Audio and Input are still handled by SDL)
You can download the Player in the download section of our new website. For 0.1 we only provide binaries for the common systems Windows, Linux and MacOS X. We don’t have enough developers to maintain lots of ports and they were slowing down our development process. But don’t worry, our Player is still perfectly portable to other systems. Ports for other systems will be readded in our ongoing development process. At the moment improving the compatibility and the user experience of the Player is our highest priority.
The next release (v0.2, codename “Alex”) will probably be released this year and on our roadmap is the long awaited battle system and and a better save system and of course improvements in the user experience. And we plan to make new stable releases more often so that you don’t have to wait two years again :).
At last we recommend that you check out our new user section in the wiki containing many useful information about features of the Player!
Welcome in 2013
Development is still going on. We actually plan to release a “stable” version (0.1) soon. Battle and Saving is still not really working but we fixed lots of bugs in the event interpreter, intro cutscene of Unterwegs in Düsterburg (quite popular game in Germany) works now.
Check out the video proof at the bottom of this post!
You can find all nightly builds as usual on our jenkins site.
Remember that these are automatic builds, so they are untested!
Kazuki ported the EasyRPG Player to the Pandora console. You can find the port in the OpenPandora Repo.
This is a video to show the changes in the event interpreter. That video shows EasyRPG on the left and RPG_RT on the right. As you can see EasyRPGs simulation is still a bit away from being perfect, but the intro works :).
The cutscene plays by itself, no input is done. Audio is from Player.
The Black Screen at the start is for synchronisation purposes.
And no the PSP build is still broken, sorry for that.
EasyRPG Editor is being made using cross platform components, it could be run at least on GNU/Linux, Windows and Mac OS X. Now you can test the first version built for Windows.
This build is far from being complete, it’s just a platform preview to demonstrate it can be on systems different than GNU/Linux.
Download EasyRPG Editor for Windows
You can open sample_game.rproject from the sample_game folder and load maps into the editor. Most dialog windows are not finished yet. Paint tool (pen) only paints one step each click. Editor will crash when closing project or when selecting the root element of the map tree. These crashes has been fixed already but not in this build.